Monday, December 22, 2014

A time to be thankful

In my very first blog post on Oct. 14, 2013, I talked about Tracy Richard, the superintendent at Common Ground Golf Course in Aurora Colo. Tracy suffered a major heart attack on Sept. 12, 2013. Since that day Tracy has beat all the odds and is well on the road to recovery.

This year at the Rocky Mountain Regional Turfgrass Conference, I saw Tracy walking the trade show floor and had an opportunity to catch up with him. Tracy was so grateful for everyone's prayers and support. Later I discovered that Tracy wrote a note to the members of the RMGCSA to express his gratitude. I would just like to share this with everyone as well. Without a doubt the Richard family has so much to be thankful for this Christmas. 

By Tracy Richard
In September of 2013 I had a sudden cardiac arrest that nearly took my life; 14 months later I am still recovering. I know many of you may have followed my recovery on Caring Bridge, but when I was asked to write an article with an update, I said yes. The main reason for writing is to say thank you to all those who have supported me in one way or another through this event . . . GCSAA, Rocky Mountain chapter of GCSAA, GFOC, Wee One Foundation, CCGO, CGA and so many individuals, too many to name, you know who you are -- you all have made a difference to me and my family. Thank you. 

I have been doing three types of therapy about once every two weeks for the last 12 months. It is slow recovering from a brain injury. I was without oxygen for a very short time; it is amazing to me how quickly all can be lost and how long it takes to get it back. Thankfully I have no paralysis; I am relearning to do things I once took for granted, like typing . . . going better than I thought it might actually. Truth be known, I was never very good. I hope to return to gainful employment sometime but am still focused on my recovery.

It has been a big adjustment to my family. I didn't ask for or want this to happen, but now that it has, we all have to deal with our "new" reality. They have been so understanding, loving and caring, it has honestly kept me going, especially my wife, Gretchen! Some days are better than others for all of us, but we have a new appreciation for our time together. That would be the one thing I would leave you with: Enjoy your time with those who mean the most to you while you can. You never know when that time will end, and you don’t usually get a second chance. As for me, I intend to make the most of mine. See you all very soon.

I would like to specifically recognize the members of the RMGCSA and its board for their efforts in supporting Tracy and his family. When their brother was down, these chapter members stepped up right away.  This holiday season, may each and every one of you take time to appreciate those around you. Like Tracy said, ". . . enjoy your time with those who mean the most" because that is what really counts.

No comments:

Post a Comment