Monday, April 25, 2016

A superintendent fraternity

Bill Webster, CGCS, arrived at work last winter to find out that the owners of Pumpkin Ridge had sold the golf course to a new management company. After sitting through the employee meeting and hearing that everyone will keep their job, Bill was pulled aside by the exiting management company and was told that he was being let go. Bill was only two years from retirement. Nearing the end of his working career and taking care of his mother who is in her nineties, Bill suddenly found himself in a place that he had never expected to be at this time. I have known Bill for 25 years and would have never expected something like this to happen to him. Bill has been the only superintendent at Pumpkin Ridge and has hosted two Women’s U.S. Opens, the U.S. Amateur, Web.com events and other LPGA events. It's not what one would typically expect after such an illustrious career.
From top left - Bill Webster, CGCS, Rod Nelson, Russell Vandehey, CGCS,
Tom Cook, and Gordon Kiyokawa
This year was Bill’s 25th CGCS anniversary and he was to receive his watch at this year’s Golf Industry Show in San Diego. For obvious reasons, he was unable to attend. I asked to have Bill's watch sent to me so I could present it to him in person instead of just letting him get it in the mail. I organized a lunch for him in Corvallis prior to the Oregon State field day and invited his close friends, Russell Vandehey, CGCS, Gordon Kiyokawa, CGCS, Rod Nelson, as well as our professor from OSU, Tom Cook. Due to a small miscommunication, the watch didn’t quite make it to my door by the time I had to leave so I was in panic mode. Sure enough the watch finally came and my son Adam was kind enough to drive it down to Corvallis and surprise Bill with the gift. I think it really meant a lot to Bill to have it presented in person and to have his friends by his side.
I wouldn't wish Bills situation on anyone. A great superintendent unnecessarily lost his job. But, at the end of the day, his friends were there to support him. Golf course superintendents are part of a fraternity that I am proud to be part of.

No comments:

Post a Comment