Friday, June 10, 2016

Mentoring our Class C members

Most all of us have been there. We know how hard we worked, and looking back at those we worked for, we now realize that they were incredible mentors. Of course, I’m talking about our time as an assistant superintendent. Ranking right up there with our equipment manager, the assistant superintendent in one of the most vital positions on the crew. In the hustle and bustle of everyday life on the course, I think we can lose track of our role as mentors. Sometimes it’s just taking that extra time to check in and ask how things are going. Most of all, we should make sure that we are setting a clear career path for our assistants and ensuring their success of becoming a superintendent.

Over lunch, he told me that someday he would like to even have my job!

Part of that success is making sure your assistants are connected to the local superintendent’s association as well as GCSAA. It’s not necessarily about creating chances for them to be away from the course by attending meetings with you, but it’s more about creating networking opportunities. There are many opportunities within the local chapter to become involved as a Class C member. Whether it’s just serving on a committee or even as a board liaison, the time involved can weigh heavily on determining the success of your legacy.

I would like to recognize a few individuals within the Northwest region who, as Class C members, have taken on an impactful role. Not only for their local chapter but for the GCSAA as well. These are Grassroots Ambassadors, Jeffrey Jensen, Mitch Savage, and Seth Swanson.

Senator Barrasso and Jeffrey Jensen

Jeffrey recently attended National Golf Day in Washington D.C., but just a few days prior he informed me that he became the superintendent at Jackson Hole Golf and Tennis! I was able to accompany him while meeting Wyoming Senators Enzi and Barrasso. Jeffrey happened to major in political science and he was right at home talking the talk.

I met Mitch Savage of Green Valley Ranch Golf Club at Colorado’s Golf Day in April and was able to spend some time with him at the event as well as on a couple site visits in the area. Mitch struck me as an individual that had a plan for his career and advocacy was a large part of it. Over lunch, he told me that someday he would like to even have my job! After getting to know him, I don’t doubt that he could.

Seth Swanson and Mitch are close friends and were college roommates. Seth is the assistant at Littleton Golf and Tennis Club. I haven’t had the opportunity to meet Seth yet but from his correspondences, I can tell that he will be a future leader.

In my opinion, behind each of these assistants is a great superintendent that see’s the value of their involvement and I would like to commend each of them for their support. I know one thing is for sure, and that is Gary Leaper, RMGCSA’s executive director, couldn’t be more pleased to see his future leaders taking shape.

No comments:

Post a Comment